On March 08, 2021, City Council passed ordinance number 6446 which authorizes all-terrain vehicles to be operated on the streets of Council Bluffs with the following exceptions and requirements. Ordinance 6446 went into effect on March 11, 2021.
All-Terrain Vehicle Requirements:
- The vehicle must have not less than 4 wheels.
- Must be equipped with DOT-approved tires. Off-road-only tires are illegal.
- Must have less than 1000 CC engine displacement.
- Type A: Dry weight must be below 1250 pounds or less width of 50 inches or less. Type B: Dry weight 2000 pounds or less and a width of 65 inches or less. Type 3: Dry weight more than 2000 pounds or a width of more than 65 inches or both.
- Must have a seat or a saddle.
- Rubberized tracks are legal.
- If the vehicle is more than 40 inches wide it must have turn signals.
- Must have a functional speedometer that will illuminate when lights are activated.
- Must have a horn that can be heard 200 feet away.
- Must have a working headlight, not less than 24 inches from the ground and not more than 54 inches from the ground.
- Must have tail lamps on the rear of the vehicle and be plainly visible at a distance of 500 feet to the rear. Must be mounted no less than 15 inches and no more than 72 inches from the ground.
- Stop lamps that are activated when the brakes are applied.
- Must have a rear-facing mirror.
- Must have a muffler that keeps the engine noise below 86 decibels at 50 feet.
ATV Operator Requirements:
- ATV must be registered with the Pottawattamie County Recorder annually and pay a registration fee
- Any operator must be able to provide proof of ownership to any law enforcement officer
- The operator must have insurance and be able to provide proof of insurance to any law enforcement officer
- If the ATV is equipped with seatbelts or a harness it must be worn
- The ATV must comply with all traffic laws
ATV Prohibited Streets and Areas:
- City parks, bike trails, wildlife areas, streams, or waterways except on designated riding areas and trails
- Levee system
- All Interstate systems
- West Broadway from the city limits to 8th St
- East Kanesville from 8th St. to the eastern city limits
- Highway 275 (Veteran’s Memorial Highway)
- Highway 92
- ATVs may cross these streets but must be done at approximately 90 degrees where there are no obstructions
Full ATV Ordinance #6446
Printable ATV Informational Flyer